stitchreadcook

Iris Anthony
Thrive Energy Cookbook: 150 Plant-Based Whole Food Recipes
Brendan Brazier

The Story of Beautiful Girl

The Story of Beautiful Girl - Rachel Simon Life at the "School" hasn't been easy for Lynnie or Homan. They were placed in the School for the Incurable and Feebleminded, an institution for those who don't have a place in the world because of their disabilities. Both Lynnie and Homan have escaped, and are looking for freedom. Unfortunately for Lynnie she is caught, but not before she places her most precious possession - her daughter, in the arms of Martha and asks her to hide her.

Homan is on the run, hoping he won't be sent back to the "School". He goes from place to place, hoping to one day get back to "Beautiful Girl" and the baby. Lynnie is sent back, and into her old routine. Thankfully Kate, a nurse is there to help her and the residents.

When I first picked up this novel I was struck by the cover, it's gorgeous. The synopsis peeked my interest, and I knew I had to read it. At the time, I was researching a family member (I'm a Family History buff) who had spent the majority of his life in an asylum. Which made the book all the more interesting!

This was a tough novel to read, it's not a genre or subject I would normally pick up. I have to admit that I put the book down - for months and only recently picked it back up to finish. I wish I hadn't put it down actually, it was so well written.

The story of Lynnie, Martha, Julia and Homan is a sad, beautiful and amazing story.