stitchreadcook

Iris Anthony
Thrive Energy Cookbook: 150 Plant-Based Whole Food Recipes
Brendan Brazier

Secrets of the Henna Girl

Secrets of the Henna Girl - Sufiya Ahmed Zeba has finished school for the year and is eagerly awaiting the results for her exams and is looking forward to school the following year. The annual trip home to Pakistan to visit her parents relatives isn’t something she’s been looking forward to, she’d rather spend the summer with her best friend.

Arriving in Pakistan, Zeba’s life is drastically changed. She finds out that her parents have promised her hand in marriage to her cousin and the wedding is happening in only a matter of weeks! She has no say in anything – which Zeba is far from thrilled with. She wants to go home to England and be a normal 16 year old – not married!

I was thrilled when I first got this book – the cover is not only gorgeous, but they story was intriguing. I felt for Zeba, and hoped and prayed along with her in the book that someone could come and rescue her from this marriage. This book had me completely engrossed – I had to find out what was going to happen! Would they force her into the marriage against her wishes and the rules of their religion?

Would I recommend this book? Most definitely, this book was a unique look inside a culture I’ve always found fascinating. The rich colours, clothing and food have always intrigued me. I loved the author’s style of writing and how well the story flowed. Will I read more by this author? Yes, I will definitely be looking for more by Sufiya in the future!